Brian F. Russell
Brian F. Russell
Brian Russell is a registered patent attorney whose practice is principally focused upon the acquisition, licensing and transfer of intellectual property rights, including domestic and foreign patents, trademarks, and copyrights. Mr. Russell’s patent experience includes the preparation of hundreds of domestic and international patent applications, infringement opinions, patentability opinions, validity opinions and appeals to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. His practice has encompassed a wide range of technologies, with particular emphasis on computer hardware and software and communication networks. Mr. Russell has experience counseling clients regarding issues associated with product commercialization, including trademark and trade dress protection and infringement. He has obtained state and federal trademarks and prepared intellectual property agreements including licensing, nondisclosure, secrecy, and consulting agreements.
Mr. Russell has spoken and written on intellectual property issues, particularly on the patentability of software and practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Patentability & infringement opinions
Strategic IP portfolio development & management
Communication equipment & protocols
State Bar of Texas
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law
B.S.E.E., cum laude, University of Texas at Austin
Co-author, Building a Patent Portfolio Cost Effectively, Third Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference, The University of Texas School of Law, February 28-March 1, 2002.
Co-author, Software Patentability ‑ Not as New as You Think, IP Magazine, Volume 14, No. 27, September 14, 1998.
Co-author, Patentability of Software Inventions, presented at University of Texas School of Law Computer Law Symposium, Spring 1998.
“American Inventors Protection Act of 1999,” presented at the 5th Annual Patent Law Institute of the University of Texas School of Law, San Jose, CA and Austin, TX, November 2000.
- Collaborated with large inventive team to design a strategy to protect innovations in a new generation of processor and interconnect technology. Prepared, prosecuted and issued 20+ patents on this groundbreaking technology.
- Represented a two-person startup centered on a mobile fitness app. Designed and executed strategy to grow patent portfolio that contributed significant value in sale of company to major fitness brand leader.
- Advise growing national shipping company regarding trademark matters. Register and maintain trademark portfolio.
- Prepared and prosecuted multiple applications to build patent portfolio advancing human safety. Assist client in selecting, engaging and managing litigation counsel.
- Secure US and international patent protection for rapidly growing local company whose innovative products are gaining market share in big box retailers.
- Advised a large online retailer regarding a variety of IP issues.